Dairy-Free Ranch Scalloped Potatoes
Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 8 Servings
6 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch
1 medium White Onion, thinly sliced
For Creamy Ranch Sauce
1 bottle Noble Made Classic Ranch Dressing
1.5 cup Cashew Cream
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
Cashew Cream Sauce
1 cup Raw Cashews
1.5 cups Water
- Make the Cashew Cream Sauce: Add 1 cup of raw cashews to a bowl with enough water to cover at least 1 inch above the cashews. Let sit overnight or at least 4 hours. When cashews have expanded and are soft, rinse and drain them thoroughly. Add them to a high speed blender with ½ cup of water and blend until a creamy sauce is formed. Set aside.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9X13 casserole dish.
- Prepare the Potato and Onion: Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice peeled potatoes into ¼ inch slices along with the onion.
- Layer the Scalloped Potatoes: In a greased 9X13 casserole dish, layer the potatoes and onion all the way across the dish making sure the potatoes are staggered. After each layer, sprinkle a light seasoning of salt and pepper. The last layer should be just potatoes.
- Assemble the Creamy Ranch Sauce: In a medium sized bowl, add cashew cream, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Classic Ranch Dressing and whisk until a creamy sauce is formed. Pour the sauce over the layered scalloped potatoes and onion. Spread until the sauce is evenly poured into the casserole dish on all sides and the top. The sauce will slowly sink into the potatoes as they shrink from cooking.
- Bake: Add foil to the top of the casserole dish and bake covered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes. To get a crispy top, broil for a couple minutes after it is cooked through. Serve warm.
This recipe was created by Valerie Skinner of Thyme and JOY.