Cinco de Mayo is coming up and with it can come some delicious food options! Making the choice to eat Whole30® Approved can mean sacrificing some foods. That said, it doesn’t mean you have to give up some of your Cinco de Mayo favorites. In fact, there are some incredible recipes you won’t want to miss.
Whole30® Cinco de Mayo Recipes You Should Try
Let’s talk about the history of Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo falls on the fifth of May. It’s a colorful holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla. This happened during the Franco-Mexican War and Cinco de Mayo is also known as the Battle of Puebla Day. Since that time, May 5th has become a day to commemorate Mexican culture and heritage. This is especially prevalent in places with a large Mexican-American population.
This, however, doesn’t stop millions of people around the world from embracing the spirit of celebration on May 5th and enjoying tasty Mexican-inspired dishes. We’ve got some of our favorite Cinco de Mayo meals to share with you.
For the Spicy Beef:
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- avocado oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Noble Made Hot & Spicy Marinade
- 1 can diced jalapeno chiles, drained
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups bone broth
For the Tostadas:
- 3 green plantains
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Spicy Beef Instructions:
- Cut chuck roast into large chunks. Season with kosher salt.
- Instant Pot Method: set IP to sauté mode and add in about 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Once hot, add the chuck roast pieces and brown on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- While chuck roast is browning, in a large bowl, add in diced tomatoes, Noble Made Hot & Spicy Marinade, diced jalapeño chiles, chopped onion, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and bone broth. Mix until well combined.
- Turn IP off from sauté mode, add the tomato mixture to IP, close the IP, seal it, and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes. Once done, let it naturally release for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
- Slow Cooker Method: preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-high with avocado oil. Once hot, brown the chuck roast on all sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Once browned, add chuck roast to slow cooker, and the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chuck roast from IP or slow cooker, shred with two forks.
- Cut off the ends of plantains then cut the plantains into 2 inch chunks.
- Cut the 2 inch chunks lengthwise and then remove the skin.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with enough coconut oil to cover the skillet.
- Add plantains to skillet and fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove plantains from skillet, lay on a flat surface, and then flatten plantains with a flat bottom object (i.e. plate, small skillet, bottom of a cup, and etc.).
- In the same skillet (add more oil if you need to), add the flattened plantains to the skillet and cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain and immediately salt the plantains.
- Serve the shredded beef on top of the "tostadas" and add your favorite toppings (i.e. guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, finely diced onions, and etc.)
Buffalo Chicken Frittata
This recipe was created by Valerie Skinner from Thyme and JOY.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 dozen eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup Noble Made Medium Buffalo Sauce, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to Bake at 425°F.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add celery and shallots and sauté until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes, then remove from heat .
- In one bowl, add eggs, salt and pepper and whisk until combined.
- Add celery and shallot mixture and cilantro to egg mixture and stir together.
- Put shredded chicken breast in a separate bowl and stir in the desired amount of Noble Made Medium Buffalo Sauce.
- Add egg mixture to a well-greased cast iron pan.
- Drop shredded buffalo chicken into the pan evenly.
- Swirl remaining Noble Made Medium Buffalo Sauce on top and cook for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Top with green onion.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Keto Taco Pie
This recipe was created by Valerie Skinner of Thyme and JOY.
For the Pie:
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp Noble Made Hot & Spicy Marinade
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp Noble Made All-Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
For the Crust:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp Noble Made All-Purpose Seasoning
- Preheat oven to Bake at 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat up 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add in the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until everything begins to soften.
- To the skillet, add in ground beef, Noble Made Hot & Spicy Marinade, and dried seasonings: 1 tsp Noble Made All-Purpose Seasoning, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano. Sauté ground beef in with the vegetables for 5-8 minutes or until beef is cooked through and no longer pink.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, almond flour, and 2 tsp Noble Made All-Purpose Seasoning until a thick batter is formed.
- Place your ground beef mixture in a pie pan or 8x8 baking dish and press the mixture down until it’s flat.
- Pour the egg, cheese and almond flour mixture on top using a spoon or rubber spatula to spread evenly over the ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Topping ideas: salsa, cilantro, sour cream/coconut yogurt, guacamole
Note: Remove the cheese from the crust and add a 1/2 cup more almond flour for Whole30® Compatible version.
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (about 1/4 of a medium-sized onion)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lime, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 avocados
- Beef Thins from TNP
For the Chimichurri Mix:
- Combine the cilantro, red onion, parsley, juice from 1/2 of the lime, garlic, jalapeño, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Add the avocado to a larger bowl and mash into a chunky consistency. Add about 2/3 of the chimichurri mix into the avocado, along with the juice from the remaining half of the lime and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir to combine well.
- Add the olive oil to the remaining 1/3 of the chimichurri mix and stir to combine.
- Pour this chimichurri sauce over the guacamole and serve with your favorite Beef Thins from TNP.