The big game is coming up and with it comes the need for some amazing game food. There’s just something about watching your favorite football game while snacking on some of your favorites. So how do you gear up for the game with food that is sure to be a winning choice? We have some suggestions to help you out. Check out how to pick the food for the big game plus we’ve got a few amazing Whole30 Approved® recipes for you.
How to Pick Food for the Big Game
Start with simple snacks
During the big game, the last thing you may want to do is to make an elaborate snack. After all, you’re there to cheer on your team. When picking out snacks for the big game, start with some simple staples that are sure to be a hit. Items like jerky, chips, and ice-cold drinks can be a good starting point for any event. If you want to add something homemade while keeping it simple, check out this easy recipe! It’s sure to be a winning addition to your watch party.
BBQ Chicken Casserole
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- avocado oil spray
- 1 cup Noble Made Smoky BBQ Sauce, divided into a 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to Bake at 350°F and spray a nonstick pan (10 inches by 5 inches) with avocado oil.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a pot of boiling water and boil for about 20 minutes until they are fork-tender.
- Once tender, remove from the pot and add to a blender with ghee. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Then put the sweet potatoes into the pan and smooth out into an even layer.
- Toss the chicken and cooked bacon into a large bowl with 3/4 cup of The New Primal Smoky BBQ Sauce.
- Put the chicken mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Top with the onion and remaining 1/4 cup The New Primal Smoky BBQ Sauce.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Take advantage of your slow cooker!
On game day, the last thing you want to worry about is babysitting a recipe. That’s where your slow cooker can become your best friend. Many slow cooker recipes allow you to set up a recipe and forget about it until it is time to eat. Taking advantage of your slow cooker will give you the ability to focus on the game while still enjoying something delicious! Check out this amazing slow cooker recipe you’re sure to love!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef, 90/10
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups Noble Made Classic BBQ Sauce
- 1 15 oz canned diced pineapple
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a mixing bowl add together the ground beef, ground turkey, minced red onion, almond flour, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix it together with your hands until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Form into 1” meatballs and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, add the can of diced pineapple (including the juice) along with 1 1/5 cups of Noble Made BBQ Sauce and whisk together.
- Pour over the top of the meatballs in the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours, or until meatballs are fully cooked through.
Prepare grab and go foods
When you are watching the big game you may not want to keep up with things like dishes. Instead, grab and go foods can be the ideal starting point for any game day menu. While it can be tempting to make a huge variety of foods, it can be a lot easier to make items like dips, nachos, or even a simple slider that can be eaten easily. Preparing grab and go foods can help you to put the focus back on the game. The BBQ brisket sliders below would be perfect for this!
BBQ Brisket Sliders
Ingredients for the brisket:
- 2 lbs beef brisket
- 1 carton chicken or beef broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Noble Made Classic BBQ Sauce
Ingredients for Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into rounds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 1/3 cup The New Primal Classic BBQ Sauce
- 1-2 jalapenos, chopped
- a handful of spinach or desired greens
- Prepare the brisket first.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Cut the brisket into 4 or 5 smaller pieces and sear each side for 1-2 minutes to achieve brownness.
- Set your slow cooker to low and pour in chicken or beef broth. Add brisket and all seasonings. Stir in The New Primal Classic BBQ Sauce.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred with two forks or slice with a knife.
- About an hour before you’re ready to eat, preheat the oven to Bake at 400°F.
- Slice the sweet potatoes about 1/4 inch thick and arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Brush the melted coconut oil over both sides of each sweet potato round and bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes.
- To assemble: top the sweet potato bun with greens, brisket, BBQ sauce, and jalapeno. Feel free to add another sweet potato bun on top if desired.
Don’t forget the sauces!
When planning for game day, don’t forget the sauces! Add your favorite Whole30 Approved® BBQ sauce or your favorite Whole30 Approved® salad dressing to the table to round out any food you serve! Adding that extra bit of flavor can take a good game day and make it great! So many forget to add quality sauces that are sure to be game-changers for your day! Don’t forget to add a variety of Whole30 Approved® condiments, including ketchup and mustard.
And, for the kids staying up late to watch their favorite player, or for anyone who loves a unique Whole30 Approved® treat, grab a bag of gluten-free, paleo Snack Mates. This way, no matter which teams wins, your game-watching party still comes out on top!