Springtime is almost here and that means new produce options are going to be showing up in the store. This means your snacks can take on some new flavors. Finding quality snacks can be hard as many snacks include added sugar. The good news is, with the spring roll-out of new produce, there are also new snacks you can enjoy. Check out these low sugar spring snacks that are sure to be a hit!
Low Sugar Spring Snacks
While produce has its own sugars, it can be a healthier sugar to consume than traditional sugar. Many of the snacks and recipes below will offer low sugar or a healthier sugar alternative. Even better, most of these are easy snacks you can grab in a hurry. Having a low-prep healthy snack on hand can make a world of difference. Here are a few low-sugar spring snack ideas to consider.
Strawberries are back in season
When spring is in the air many people think of the strawberry season. Stores start to stock these delicious goodies and some places even allow you to pick your own. Many of the strawberry treats out there are jam-packed with sugar. They don’t have to be though. Here are a few ways to enjoy strawberries this spring and a fun salad recipe.
8 ways to enjoy strawberries this spring
- Sliced with a bit of lemon juice - Start by slicing up your strawberries. Then add a bit of lemon juice to them and mix well. The lemon will pull out the strong strawberry flavor for a delicious snack.
- Mixed into yogurt - A low sugar Greek yogurt can add a punch of flavor to your morning with sliced strawberries mixed in or served on top.
- In a trail mix - Dried strawberries can be the perfect addition to a salty trail mix. Make your own with a mixture of nuts, seeds, dried strawberries, and an all-purpose seasoning.
- In a wrap - Cook up your favorite protein and add it to a wrap with spinach and fresh cut strawberries for a delicious snack.
- In a salsa - Who said all salsa has to be savory? Put together a delicious strawberry salsa and serve it with your favorite chips for a tangy snack.
- Dipped in dark chocolate and crushed nuts - While some chocolates are higher in sugar, dark chocolate can give you the flavor without the high sugar. Dip strawberries in melted chocolate and then in crushed nuts for a sweet and salty snack.
- Frozen - Frozen strawberries can be just the sweet treat you didn’t know you needed. Slice them up or freeze them whole. Next time you get a sweet tooth, grab a few frozen strawberries.
- As a spicy snack - Slice up your strawberries, add a bit of lime juice, and some citrus herb seasoning for a uniquely-flavored snack.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 3/4 cup crushed walnuts
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 8 ounces diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 cup citrus herb marinade
- Marinate chicken in citrus herb marinade for at least 30 minutes before preparing.
- Cook chicken until fully cooked and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add walnuts, spinach, diced chicken breast, and vinaigrette and toss. (Add vinaigrette slowly so that you can get the right balance without overdressing the salad.)
Blueberries make their return.
Spring tends to be the time for berries. Blueberries won’t miss out on the spotlight and you’re sure to see blueberries back in the store and on local you-pick farms. Blueberries can be a delicious treat on their own. Much of the time people put them in cobblers that are high in sugar but that’s not all they are good for. Here are some great ways to enjoy blueberries as well as a blueberry recipe you have to try.
8 ways to enjoy blueberries this spring
- With diced mint leaves - Mint brings out the flavor of blueberries in a way you wouldn’t believe. Dice mint leaves into smaller pieces and mix in fresh blueberries for an incredible flavor combination.
- On a charcuterie board - Add blueberries, crackers, and grass-fed beef sticks to a charcuterie board that will bring the flavor without the added sugar.
- With overnight oats - Overnight oats are a great low sugar breakfast option that blueberries work well with. Add blueberries to your next round of overnight oats for a filling breakfast.
- Blueberry granola - Blueberries are an excellent addition to granola. Use fresh blueberries for a bite of sweetness or use dried blueberries to make it last even longer.
- Covered in Greek yogurt and frozen - Add blueberries to Greek yogurt and freeze on a parchment paper sheet for a sweet treat that is perfect for a sweet craving.
- Add them to a salad - Blueberries make the perfect addition to a light salad. You can add them whole or and use a fresh Citrus Zest Dressing to top it off.
- As a salsa - Mix blueberries, red onion, cilantro, and sunflower seeds for a flavor-packed salsa.
- In a fruit salad - Blueberries are the ideal complement to most fruit salads. They bring a bit of sweetness and a small bit of tartness to any fruit salad.
Chips and Blueberry Lime Salsa
Adapted from How Sweet Eats
- corn chips
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 5 medium strawberries
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup chopped avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- Combine blueberries, strawberries, onion, lime zest, juice, and cilantro in a food processor until a bit chunky.
- Season with all-purpose seasoning to taste.
- Move salsa into a bowl.
- Add in chopped avocado and stir well.
- Serve with corn chips and enjoy.
3 tips for low sugar spring snacking
- Take advantage of sauces - Quality low-sugar sauces such as coconut aminos, sriracha tahini salad dressing, and even paleo BBQ sauces can take your spring snacks to the next level. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of sauces that are full of flavor to help you snack happily.
- Grab on-the-go options - On-the-go options such as sugar-free jerky, granola, and trail mix can help you to make the right snacking choice when you are out and about.
- Research flavor pairings - You might be surprised to find that certain flavors work better with your favorite foods than you might expect. Don’t be afraid to try what seems like an odd flavor combination. You may just find that it’s the perfect fit.