Let’s hear it for our favorite four-legged furbabies! National Dog Day is August 26, 2021. You could celebrate your furry friends with traditional ideas like a new toy, a trip to the dog park, or a good old-fashioned walk. But why stop there? We’re going to have a fun playdate on National Dog Day by planning a (Hot)Dog Day party, too!
National (Hot)Dog Day Party Ideas
Plan some hotdog deliciousness for the humans!
Nothing beats a delicious hotdog on a hot summer day. Whether grilled, boiled, broiled, or steamed, a hotdog is a summer tradition that’s easy to dress up in a variety of ways.
Chicago Style Hotdog
Chicago-style hotdogs are known for being an all-beef hotdog on a steamed poppy seed bun. You will then top it with yellow mustard, relish, fresh onions, red tomato wedges, and a pickle spear, and a few spicy peppers. This favorite is sure to be a messy hotdog you have to try. Even better, you can put together this simple hotdog using many of the things you have already purchased for a party. Want even more goodness? Try our Whole30 Approved Tomato Ketchup or Coarse-Dijon Mustard for a little kick.
New York Style Hotdog
New York brings a different flavor to the table! In New York, the hotdog is packed with flavor while keeping things simple. A New York hotdog is traditionally topped with spicy brown mustard and either sauerkraut or onions sautéed with tomato paste. If you are looking to add a bit of flavor when making your own, add All-Purpose Seasoning to your tomato paste for an extra layer of flavor.
Kansas City Style Hotdog
In Kansas, go BBQ or go home is the motto for sure! You will typically find a burnt-end hotdog topped with baked beans, fried onions, and a Mustard BBQ Sauce for a punch of flavor. If you want to add in a bit of extra BBQ flavor, add some Classic BBQ Sauce to your baked beans while heating them up.
California Style Hotdog
Looking for a fresh take on a hotdog? California brings a different flavor profile than other areas might. A California hotdog is typically wrapped in bacon and topped with Monterey Jack cheese and fresh guacamole. Add a Citrus-Herb Seasoning to your guacamole to take this hotdog to the next level.
Have some dog-inspired fun for your Hotdog Party!
Again, in honor of National Dog Day, remember to celebrate your favorite furry friends. While dogs are typically happy to join your fun, it can be awesome to add some special touches to the experience for them. Having a dog day hotdog party with your pups can be a great experience. Even better, there are a ton of simple things you can do to make their tails wag. Here are a few ideas:
- Make Pupcicles - Find dog-safe hotdogs. Chop these up and put in a bowl of unsalted chicken broth. Freeze until frozen solid. Let your dogs enjoy this delicious pupcicle while working to find all of the hotdogs in their pupcicle. (Make sure your broth does not include onion or garlic.)
- Bring out their favorite toys or introduce a new favorite - Today is all about your dog. Whether you bring out some of their favorite toys to play with, or introduce a new favorite, you are sure to have fun. Not sure what kind of toys to bring out? Hidden treat toys are always a hit for challenging your pet to find a treat while having fun with a toy. Hide items like dog treats, Meat Snacks, or even small pieces of hot dog in their toys.
- Enjoy a dip in the pool - Hotdogs are great for the humans after a long swim, so why not make your dog party a pool party to let your pup swim off some energy? It could be a great way to let them enjoy a swim, some treats, and then rest a bit while their owners have some fun together.
- Have a puppy parade - If you plan to have multiple friends with dogs over, a pup parade could be just the thing. Let your dogs wear their favorite pup clothes or show off leash skills with a pup parade around the neighborhood. This simple activity will help to get the pups out for a nice walk while letting everyone enjoy some time together.
Create a build-your-own hotdog bar
Another way to make a hotdog party special is to put together a build your own hotdog bar. This can be a great way to let each person enjoy the flavors they prefer. Add a bit of fun by throwing a few odd items on the table to mix it up. Maybe you add in something sweet as a topping or even some Beef Thins. The options are endless but here are a few ideas for a build your own hotdog bar.
- Have fun with side dishes! - Sides don’t have to fit any specific list of requirements. Have fun picking sides, like Grilled Potato Salad, that will go well with the hotdogs as part of the hotdog bar.
- Load up on condiments! - Don’t be shy with the condiments. Include ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce, and other sauces and dressings. Having a variety of condiments can help people to build the ultimate hotdog.
- Don’t be shy with the toppings. - Make your favorite chili, bring out a variety of peppers, chop onions or caramelize them, and pick some extras like fried onions or coleslaw for a hotdog like no other. Or just grab our new Classic Chili Seasoning. The options are endless. The goal is to include flavors for a multitude of people.
- Switch up the buns. - Don’t just get a traditional bun. There are a multitude of hotdog buns on the market that can bring different flavors to the table. Lay out a few different types of buns to make building a hotdog even more fun.
- Bring plenty of napkins and strong plates. - This party might get a bit messy! Make sure to bring plenty of napkins and strong plates for the hotdogs you build. A fork and knife might also be a wise idea depending on how heavily topped your hotdog ends up being. Then again, if any food drops, you furry friends will be around to clean up for you!